Sesame oil is abundant of therapeutic and health properties which are stated in ancient medicinal texts e.g Charaka Samhita, Susruta Samhita and Ebers Papyrus (from Ancient Egyptians). They also have been evaluated and verified through scientific research.
What are black sesame seeds?
Actually it refers to dry mature seeds of Sesamum indicum L., a plant under the genus Sesamum of the family Pedaliaceae. It plants are usually harvested during autumn when the fruits at the peak of their ripeness. And next dry them in the sun, knock out of the seeds, remove impurities, and then dry in the sun once again.
It is flat oval, about 3mm long and 2mm wide. Surface is black and smooth or with netted wrinkles. Tip has brown punctate hilum. Seed coat is thin. Cotyledons are two, white, and rich in oil. It has slight odor, sweet taste, and oil aroma.
Main chemical constituents are up to 55% fatty oil, sesamin, sesamolin, sesamol, vitamin E, phytosterols, lecithin, pedaliin, protein, oligosaccharides, planteose, sesamose, and small amounts of phosphorus, potassium and cytochrome C, folic acid, nicotinic acid, sucrose, pentosan and large amounts of calcium content. In addition, fatty oil mainly contains approximately 48% oleic acid, approximately 37% linoleic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, arachidonic acid, and glycerolipid of lignoceric acid. (http://www.chineseherbshealing.com/black-sesame-seeds/)
They contain health benefits as below
- Anti-inflammatory – it aids in reducing inflammation because of healthy fatty acids in it
- Antioxidant – Sesame oil contains many antioxidants. It does not spoil quickly because of these antioxidant nutrients
- Anti-diabetic – relieves diabetes
- Hypotensive – lowers blood pressure
- Anti-bacterial – kills many strains of bacteria
- Anti-atherogenic – reduces the risk of atherosclerosis
- Anti-depressant – lowers the state of depression
- DNA protection – sesame oil safeguards the DNA of body cells from damage by external factors, like radiation
- Anti-cancer – sesame oil has now been identified to protect and inhibit the growth of specific cancers, as we shall see later
- Emollient – excellent moisturizer, heals dry skin
- Anti-aging – sesame oil has powerful anti-aging nutrients !
- Skin regeneration – promotes repair and regrowth of skin cells
- Sunscreen – sesame oil has natural SPF, although mild. It doesn’t compare to sunblocks, but it can be used in natural sunscreen formulations
- Anti-rheumatic – used in Ayurvedic oil formulations as base oil to infuse herbs. These are used to treat rheumatoid arthritis
- Anti-cholesterol – improves lipid profile of people who use it
- Detoxifying – one of the few massage oils known to remove toxins from the body
- Warming – creates a warming sensation upon massage
Application for beauty and external usage
Sesame Oil For Hair Growth: sesame oil is fantastic for scalp massage as it has essential fatty acid profile. It nourishes and improves the health of hair follicles and scalp which encouraging healthy hair growth and scalp.
Damaged hair: Everyday chemicals, like soaps, shampoo, conditioners, hair colours and even high heat of the rollers and straighteners can damage our hair. Sesame oil returns hair back to its original health ( to some extent ). It dissolves away many toxins that accumulate on the scalp. It can also dissolve many oil soluble vitamins and minerals which may have deposited on the scalp.
Sesame oil hot oil treatment : Apply warm sesame oil on the scalp as part of hot oil treatment. This makes hair softer and detangles them. Hot oil treatment is done for deep conditioning.
Scalp psoriasis: Sesame oil help in scalp psoriasis as it eliminates flakiness and dryness. That is why it also combats dandruff.
Prevent hair loss: Sesame oil may be useful in preventing hair loss that occurs because of a fungal scalp infection. Sesame oil is a potent anti-fungal and it kills the fungi to keep scalp fungi free.
Quick shine: Going out and need some shine to dull hair ? No problem. Just take 4 – 5 drops of sesame in your palm and run them through hair. Enjoy the shine. Massaging at the ends gets rid of split ends.
Get rid of lice: Add few drops of lavender oil and rosemary oil to sesame oil and apply as hot oil treatment on scalp. Lice is gone. Use a nit comb to extract their eggs.
Calm depression: Sesame oil in massage helps to manage depression better. Research has identified that sesamol from sesame oil helps inhibits the production of cytokines ( like TNF – α ) . This reduces the risk of developing clinical depression because of stress.
Swimming mate: We know that our hair starts turning greenish when we have been swimming regularly in the pool. This effect can be negated by applying sesame oil before or after the swim. It leaches out the chlorine. Applying it on the outer rim of the ear canal also prevents outer ear infection.
What a universally useful seed they are. At Prani glow we’re now offering organic black sesame seed oil as part of Exotic hair serum and massage oil, please ask when you make booking.